Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Snowthrower engine won't shut off

Question
QUESTION: Snow-tek (model 920402, 24E)starts and works fine but does not shut off either by the shut off switch (rocker switch) or by removing the key. I have to close fuel shut-off valve to stop it. What is the problem and how I fix it? The thrower has LCT 208 series GEN II engine.

Also, is there any harm to the engine by stopping it by the way I am doing it, since this the only way for me stop the engine.

Is is something that can be fixed easily? I am a novice. Thanks.

ANSWER: I'm betting the shut-off wire either came loose or broke.  If you remove the engine shroud you will gain access to the igntion module.  Follow the small ignition wire from the ignition module to the engine shut-off switch and see if it is still connected.

You may also just check around the plastic key/pin shut-off area and see if a wire came loose or broke.

There is no harm shutting the gas off to stop the engine.  If fact, this is how I shut-off my mower.

Let me know if you find a loose or broke wire.

Eric

QUESTION: Great Eric, I did indeed find a loose (separated)wire connection around the shut-off switch  area and when I joined the disconnected ends the rocker switch worked sr expected. Thanks for your suggestion. Saved me a service trip to the dealer - you know these things are heavy!

Umesh

Answer
As good practice I would still shut the fuel off when you are not using the machine.  Most of our repairs are carb releated.  A very common tell-tale sign of a carb problem is gasoline in the oil.  Shutting off the fuel prevents gas from entering the engine oil even if the carb is leaking.  You will not notice a leaking carb when running the blower as the engine is consuming gas during use.

You will notice a dirty carb as the machine will probably not run or will run very poor.

Easy method to keep the machine out of the shop is to just shut-off the fuel after each use.

Glad to hear you found the problem.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones