Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Chinese 110cc motor has no spark

Question
QUESTION: Hey there, I know this isn't a lawn mower or anything but i figured it was about the same idea if not where could i go for help?. I got this small Red Cat 110cc four wheeler that didn't run off a trade. after looking at it ive noticed it has no spark from the spark plug when i pull it out and lay it on the frame or case. Ive put a different spark plug that i knew worked into the ignition coil and tried it and still no spark (the plug wasn't made for that engine but i figured there basically the same. I didn't want to buy a hole new plug just for testing.Anyway I have checked the electrical measures from the CDI and they all check out. It has a 4 pin CDI on it. I have even takin a voltage meter to the ignition coil right where it connects to the spark plug and it reads some volts when i turn it over. Any help on what else it could be??? thanks alot! Tyler

ANSWER: CDI can be difficult to test.  If the igniion module is one piece you can try dis-connecting all the wires connected to the module and re-testing for spark.

The trouble may be with a pick-up or signal module.  The module might be bad and not triggeriing the ignition module to produce spark.

Are you able to trace each wire of the connector and determine where it runs?  Have you checked Google and message boards to see if others have had a similar problem?

Eric

QUESTION: I have looked and i cant really find something to match. but what is the ignition module? Is that the ignition coil?

Answer
On some CDI systems there was a trigger on the camshaft or flywheel which provides the timing signal to the coil to produce spark.

Many of the Chinese engines are old Honda engines, or very, very similar.  Have you checked the message boards for Honda 110cc atvs to see if your engine is similar?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones