Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/g23 22.5cc 2 stroke

QUESTION: Hi I recently bought a goped scooter with a 22.5cc 2 stroke engine it was really dirty and didn't run at all. Well I have putting hours and hours into this thing and got it partially running. It will not start nor run with me spraying starting fluid into the Carb. Well obviously some thing is not working right in the Carb so I cleaned it very very good soaked it over night got a carb repair kit and did all that. But I can not get the gosh dang thing to run. If I hold the throttle wide open and press in the bulb on the Carb it will run at top speed but as soon as I let go f either the throttle or the bulb it dies right away. I really need help with this please anything the only thing I can think of is that I know its not right but the spark plug was stripped out like most of the threads so we locktighted it in the hole and it does not leak at all so I don't think it is that but please help anything?

ANSWER: Have you performed a compression test on the engine?  Do you know for sure if the spark plug hole threads are stripped

QUESTION: Will compression affect the fuel intake from the carb

Compression will not affect the fuel intake but when you mentioned it will not start on starting fluid it is commonly related to a compression problem.  I have spent many hours troubleshooting carb problems only to find the root problem was compression.

If you have less than 90 psi it will not run right.  I have had 2 cycles run on 75 psi but 125 psi is usually the minimum for a good running 2 cycle.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology