Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/honda hs55 with gx140

I have aquired a honda hs55 snowblower that has a honda gx140 engine on it.  It starts on first pull and runs good except it has to be on 3/4 choke.  If choke is turned down any it starts to spudder.  I have not taken carb completely off the engine but did some cleaning with it on the engine.  Which jet or passage should I look at when I do take this thing off the engine to clean?  What is the likely culprit?  Thanks for any info you can give.

Most likely it is the high speed jet or one of the small air ports.  I would remove, dis-assemble and clean the carb with compressed air from an air compressor and spray can carb cleaner.

There are lots of You Tube videos on cleaning carbs.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology