Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Lawnboy 7084 Mower

QUESTION: I have taken the starter recoil assembly out to replace the plastic pawl. The rope retainer spring came out with this assembly.  I cannot figure out how to reinstall this assembly and get the starter rope retainer in the right place.

ANSWER: Have you checked out this You Tube video?

QUESTION: Afraid this video doesn't help.  The model 7084 has an armature plate which the starter assembly is inserted into. It is a thin half-round structure, with the bottom half of it open. The rope retainer has to go  along side the starter assembly, which is then inserted upward into that plate. It's a blind assembly, you can't see how the rope retainer has to go up inside.  You have to correctly position it alongside the recoil spring container before this entire assembly is pushed up into the armature plate. I have a copy of the mechanic manual, but it is only a photocopy, and it doesn't show the correct rope retainer position at all clearly. I have turned the mower upside down for easier access, but you still need to know what position the rope retainer is supposed to be in before you can insert it and the starter assembly together.

Is this link the parts diagram for your mower?

Is this the link for the manual you are using?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology