Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/LT 946H/ENG TVT961-600810B

Question
Problems with this mower, I had it in the shop..new starter, carb cleaned, valves adjusted..then a month later wouldn't start, bought and replaced alternator, plugs, solenoid, battery and two new coils.  Mower seemed to want to start,but whined..instead..Not sure what to replace next..I did get a new ignition switch I'm going to put on and a new fuel pump, but after that I'm totally out of ideas..  Spent to much money on it to trash it now... :(

Answer
It the TVT a Tecumseh engine?  I can't seem to find the engine parts diagram.

As many items have you have replaced I would start by performing an engine leak-down test to verify all the internal engine parts are fine, piston, rings, valves and head gasket.

Since so many parts have been replaced and the engine it still giving you problems I would carefully check the head gasket to see if it is leaking and check the head bolt torque.

For troubleshooting small engines I always start by checking spark, making sure the ignition system is working.  Next I prime the engine with fresh fuel and try to start it.  If it tries to start then the ignition, compression and timing are fine.  This leaves only the fuel/carburetor.  This is a quick and effective method to identify what main system is causing the problem.

Let know if the engine is a Tecumseh and re-check the model number.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones