Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Snapper SX5200 Snowblower pulley

QUESTION: I'm trying to remove the auger pulley to replace the belt. How does it come off? It says that they are reversed threads, but it won't budge. Is it threaded at all?

ANSWER: We rarely remove the auger pulley to replace the belt.  Normally there is enough idler pulley movement that none of the pulleys have to be removed.

If you have to remove a pulley, I would start with the idler.  If that does not provide enough slack then I would remove the engine pulley before the auger pulley.

Do you have the correct belt?

Snapper SX5200
Snapper SX5200  
QUESTION: There is not enough gap between the auger and the side of the blower.  The pulley fits into the side fairly tightly because the side is recessed.  It's not about the slack, there is not enough clearance between the pulley and the side of the blower.  The manual says to loosen or remove the auger pulley.  But it does not say how.  It only says that the threads are reversed.

The pulley is threaded onto the auger.  I would use an air impact gun to loosen the threads but you should be able to hold the auger with a 2x4 to stop it from moving so you can remove the pulley.

Are you sure you can't force the belt on by feeding on one side of the pulley and rotating the auger as you thread the belt on the pulley?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology