Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Transmission

Hi Eric!   I'm working on a lawn tractor transmission. I've spent hours pulling it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together. I took the machine out for a test drive, and 4th gear doesn't work. It grabs and releases, and then makes a short grinding noise. I took the tranny apart again, to try and find out what caused the problem, but I didn't see anything. The only thing wrong was that the little bumps on two of the bushings were worn off. These bushings were on the same shaft. Also, the machine will not roll forward in neutral. The transmission worked before I took it apart, so I think that I made a mistake.  The amount of washers that was in the picture I had allowed the gears to move side-to-side about one-quarter inch.  So, I placed the extra washers in what seemed like good spots, and it made the gears turn smoothly.  But now, 5th gear locks up, and 4th gear makes a little clicking noise.  I have no experience with translissions, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you,

What brand and model of transmission do you have?  Is it a Peerless?

Adding washers could cause a problem because the washers in the transmission are proabably beveled on one edge/side to assit with shifting.  Installing the washers backwards will cause problems.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology