Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Transmission

Question
Hi Eric!   I'm working on a lawn tractor transmission. I've spent hours pulling it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together. I took the machine out for a test drive, and 4th gear doesn't work. It grabs and releases, and then makes a short grinding noise. I took the tranny apart again, to try and find out what caused the problem, but I didn't see anything. The only thing wrong was that the little bumps on two of the bushings were worn off. These bushings were on the same shaft. Also, the machine will not roll forward in neutral. The transmission worked before I took it apart, so I think that I made a mistake.  The amount of washers that was in the picture I had allowed the gears to move side-to-side about one-quarter inch.  So, I placed the extra washers in what seemed like good spots, and it made the gears turn smoothly.  But now, 5th gear locks up, and 4th gear makes a little clicking noise.  I have no experience with translissions, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you,
Seth

Answer
What brand and model of transmission do you have?  Is it a Peerless?

http://isopop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Tecumseh-Peerless_Motion_Drive_Syst

Adding washers could cause a problem because the washers in the transmission are proabably beveled on one edge/side to assit with shifting.  Installing the washers backwards will cause problems.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones