Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Troy bilt n689 lawn tractor

Question
My 9 yr old tractor will not move.  When started  I put in speed HIgh and forward  but the tractor jumps along as if a brake is on.
Then i smell belt rubbing,   .  I cannot see anything broken but when shifting speed it seems free.  When off  and brake released, in neutral I could push it yesterday, but it is "locked up" today

Ideas

Answer
Those are pretty reliable transmissions...never seen one fail.

What does fail are the belts and the Pulley assembly PART NUMBER: 656-0059A

Parts link:

http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/part-model/Troybilt-Parts/Riding-mower-tracto

The first thing I would check it the brake.  They are prone to rusting and will not work right.

I would remove the part that holds the brake pucks/pads held on by 2 screws.  This will release all the brake pressure if it is binding.  Behind the brake puck is a metal plate...DO NOT loose the metal plate if the puck falls out.

See if it will roll with the brake assembly removed.  If so, the little dowel pins are sticking.  You will need to remove the pins, clean with a wirebrush or sandpaper.  Clean the pin holes as well.  I use a small drill bit with steelwool on the end...works great.

Lightly grease the pins and re-install everything.  Re-adjust the brake.  To adjust, I set the parking brake and turn the adjustment nut until I can't push the mower.  Release the brake and make sure you can easily roll it.  Adjust as necessary.

After you know the brake is working right then I would start by replacing the belts.  When replacing you will have to remove the variator pulley.  Inspect the bearing in the pulley and see if they are in good condition.  I would lightly lube with grease.

Let me know what you find.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones