Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/18 h b&s won't start

Question
my neighbor just bought a used craftsmen lawn tractor, and no gas is getting to the spark plug but it is in the float bowl, when I put my hand over the air intake it tries to start but as soon as I pull my hand away it stalls when I put gas straight in the intake it will run that gas out and stall. The engine is a 31h777 model and type 0297EI it is getting good spark but no gas, the carb has a new o-ring and what my neighbor calls a race track looking rubber gasket on top of the float any ideas on what the problem is. Should I take the entire carb apart and clean everything, or is there something inside the engine that would cause this.

Answer
Bill

Sounds like you may have some debris plugging up the jets and the passages as no fuel is allowed to pass unless you put your hand over intake of the carb you are creating a vacuum.

I would get a rebuild kit and clean the carburetor out real good they sell carburetor cleaner in spray cans and in a container. You can let it soak for a hour to loosen up any gunk and then take a air hose with a tip to blow out the jets and the passages,just be careful nothing is loose in the carb so you don't blow it across the room and get it lost.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

BEN