Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/MGA2900 Generator

QUESTION: When started will run 10-15 minutes; then shuts off. May or may not restart right away. If restart occurs  will only run 2-3 minutes before shutting off, and eventually failing to start at all for hours.

ANSWER: Does it have a low oil sensor?  Have you replaced the spark plug?  What engine is on the generator and what is the engine model, type and code/serial number?

QUESTION: Yes it has a low oil sensor light.Yes the spark plug was replaced.
The engine is a Mitsubishi:
TYPE- Air cooled, OHV, Gas
Family: YMVXS 1821AA
Dom: 010405
Hope I have given you the correct info needed, to assist your diagnosis.

Thanks in advance

ANSWER: Interesting...first Mitsubishi generator I've seen.  Since it will only run 10-15 min the first thing we check when the engine  dies is spark.  You need to verify you have have spark indicating the ignition system is working.

We have had issues with defective oil sensors cause the problem you are having...which is why we verify spark.

Is the engine oil level correct? With the engine running, can you dis-connect the oil sensor and will the engine continue to run with the sensor dis-connected?

Let me know.

QUESTION: Maybe you're right and Mitsubishi does'nt make them anymore. I failed to mention that it was purchased in "2000". It was used regularly (daily) for about 10 months, and then only biweekly until a year and a half ago when I started using it on weekends only.Before I junk it; where is the nearest servicer (if any still exist) to: 2400 N.W.99 St.Miami Florida 33147.

Thanks for the execellent advice.

There are 3 small engine shops near you.

J & R Mower Repair, 3098 NW 62nd St, Miami, FL ‎ 2.4 mi S (305)635-2351 ‎
Papo's Lawn Mower Sales & Services, 561 Burlington St, Opa-locka, FL ‎ 2.6 mi NW (305)685-9383
S & S Lawn Mower & Small Eng 2290 Palm Ave, Hialeah, FL ‎ 3.1 mi SW (305)885-5512

I'd call them and ask if they work on gererators. They should be able to help or provide a shop that works on generators.

Is the oil level correct?  When was the last time the oil was changed? Will the generator run if you dis-connect the low oil sensor?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology