Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Mower dying out

Toro LX420 riding mower, Model # 13AX60RG744, 7 yrs old. Mower tends to die out (coughs, sputters, stops) after about 45 minutes of heavier-than-usual (leaves, tall grass) mowing. Takes me two times to mow yard. Mower repairman has had it twice, but can't find cause. It sounds heat-related to me. He's let it run for 1 hour, but the mower needs to exert itself before dying out. Anything I can tell him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The problem you have is one of the most difficult to repair as it is had to duplicate in the shop.

Do you have a Kohler SV540-0019 engine?

Do you know if the shop did anything like clean the carb, check the valve clearances, replace the spark plug, clean the valve breather?  These are the easy things to check to make sure everything is properly functioning.

It could be a carburetor/governor issue or even electrical...only had one electrical issue cause this problem in 20+ years working on mowers but it took me a couple of weeks and mowing many yards to duplicate the problem and isolate a poor electrical connection...that was the only problem and it ran like new again...was very difficult to find the issue.

Let me know if you have the Kohler engine and what the shop did to the mower.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology