Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Scott's S2554 tractor PTO trouble shooting

Question
Ben, I have a problem with the S2554 mower when I engage the PTO the mower quits, disengage the PTO fast enough and it will stay running. Before I could pull out the choke quick enough and push it back in and the mower and blades ran fine. Now that trick does not work. I took the tension off the mower deck drive belt and engaging the PTO still makes the engine quit. The PTO does work but seems like the engine is loosing power, possibly electrical. Tractor will run fine using it to haul a trailer full of rock or dirt so does not seem to be carb. related issue. Serial #GX2554S010405, Engine#3200303841 25 hp Kohler. PTO going bad? Another sensor?Thanks Andy

Answer
Andy
Actually it probably is a carburetor issue as you put that PTO load on it causes the engine to stall because that is a heavy load for the engine to bear as you are doing that the governor is not keeping up with the load. Just pulling something is not a sharp load it is gradual. I would suspect you have carburetor problems,if the PTO is bad it may have bad bearings or the clutch inside the PTO is grabbing to fast. Try cleaning the carburetor first as a PTO is a lot more money than a carb kit.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

BEN