Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Simplicity Mower issue

unhooked the white wire, engine started, would not shut off with key.  had to pull choke to shut off wire with wire disconnected
mower still shut off in about 20 minutes. Replaced celonoid, still no help.  Couldn't find a way to respond to last answer you gave me about the key not shutting down mower, so I had to try to get to you by issuing new question.....sorry, if you can't figure out who I am, send email.

Sounds like you have the correct wire.  Dis-connecting the wire isolated the mower chasis wire harness from the engine ignition system.

If the engine still stops after 20 minutes or so you still need to determine if you have spark when the engine stops.

With the white wire still dis-connected, use the mower until it stops.  As soon as it quits quickly dis-connect the spark plug wire and use a spark tester or a spare spark plug to see if it has spark.  It is possible the ignition module is failing when the engine is at operating temperature.  By verifying the spark you will know if you have an ignition problem or other problem.  We always start with the ignition in cases like yours as we have seen a few ignition modules stop working when they get hot.

Did you replace the starter solenoid?

FYI, you can use some insulated handle plyers and re-connect or touch the white wire where it connects to the engine to shut-off the engine.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology