Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Tecumseh ohh 50 timing

Question
Can the timing be advanced on the tecumseh ohh 50 and what would be the best way to do it if so ?

Answer
Yes, the mechanical timing can be advanced but the adjustment is limited by the design the gear teath on the can and crankshaft.  To advance you will have to remove the oil pan/sump basically splitting the engine and then just advance the cam a tooth or two.

You may be able to find a Tecumsh flywheel key that will advance the igntion timing a few degrees but an advancing flywheel key may be very hard to find.  Most advancing keys I've seen are for Briggs or Honda 5HP go-cart engines.

When do you want to advance the timing?  Are you running an alcohal set-up?  If so you will need to adjust the compression ratio as well.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones