Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/18 hp B S I C ENGINE

FAMILY# YBSXS56942HL   275088 engine ran good on test then I recounted engine and have no fire check all connections unplugged kill switch still no fire Is it possible coil went bad sitting Any help appreciated Thanks William

This link will help you locate the engine model number:

Coils usually do not go bad while sitting.  Did you remove the top engine cover/sheet metal so you can access the ignition module(s)?  If not, I would take off the top cover to access the ignition module(s).  Dis-connect the small wire connected to the igntion module and check for spark.  If you have spark the module is good.  If no spark, the module is bad.  

Mice and other critters have been known to chew wires so I would check under the top engine cover to make sure there are no unwanted visitors.

What is the engine model, type and code number of the engine?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology