Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/dip stick grommet

Question
QUESTION: B&S Engine model 286707
Type 0115 01
Code 91121311

Thanks Eric

ANSWER: You need Briggs and Stratton part number 281370S.

I know that engine very well.  Not to scare you but one other common issue with those engines leaking oil is a leaking oil sump/pan gasket.  There are a couple of sump bolts, under the cylinder side of the engine, that tend to back out (loosen) and cause an oil lean under the cylinder.  The only fix is to remove the engine, remove the sump and replace the gasket and main oil seal.  You can some Loc-tite when re-assemlbling to keep the bolts tight.

Briggs admitted this issue sometime in the mid-90s and starter using lock washers and Loc-tite on the sump bolts.

It's not that hard to replace the gasket and main oil seal but it takes sometime to remove, clean and re-assemlbe.  You could do the job your self and save some money or you could remove the engine and take it to a shop and have them replace the gasket and seal.

If it were me, I would replace the dipstick seal, degrease the engine and then use the mower and watch to see if it still leaks oil and how much it leaks.

Eric

QUESTION: Thanks for the part # and the heads up; probably take a stab at replacing gasket/seal myself if grommet doesnít stop leak. I enjoy seeing HOW things work, especially mechanical things; and I donít mind taking the time if I know what Iím looking for; plus you mentioned doing the job right on your bikeÖ.Iím same way; I like eveything dressed & laced and working perfectly; must be a military thing, huh. I read your bio about Air Force; I was Army for 3 years and hated every day of it; the consensus back in í69 was if you were drafted for 2 years but joined for 3, they likely would not send you to Vietnam; so I joined for 3 and they sent me anyway; but Iíve always wished Iíd joined the Air Force. But when youíre young & dumb at 19, 3 years seems like an enternityÖ.so I just couldnít imagine joining anything for 4 years. But have always regretted it.   

This has been great, all this info; really appreciate you taking the time.
Thanks, Eric
Don

Answer
Thanks for your service.  My plan was 4 years and done...19 years later I'm still doing the same things, working on mowers on the side and active duty full time.

Let me know if/when it comes time the sump gaskets as there are a few tricks for making the job eaiser.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones