Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/B&S stuck wot will not run

i have a Briggs and Stratton motor on my troy built push mower. i bought it at a pawn shop and they had it running for me but now i cannot get it to run. i removed the carb and cleaned it. replaced the air filter (the old one was black). i replaced the spark plug and also drained all the old gas and put new in it. So i put it all back together and I'm having the same problem. its stuck at WOT. i can manually close the throttle and it runs fine but as soon as i let it go it pops back open and then dies. the spring is fine and is not damage. please help me fix this.

What is the engine model, type and code number of the engine?

Make sure the carburetor connecting link is not binding...had this happen once and it did the same thing you described.

Did you mess with the governor at all?  If not, do not mess with it.  If so, copy/paste the address below.

Send me the engine info so I can look up your engine.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology