Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/blades will not disengage completely

Hi Tom,  

I have a craftsman 21 hp variation speed 46 in deck, model number 247.288851.  it has the manual lever to engage and disengage the blades.  When I disengage the blades they continue to spin, only way I get them to completely stop is to turn the mower off and then turn it back on.  Thank you for your time.

There are small brake pads on levers that move against the pulleys that spin the blades. They move on a arm backwards away from the pulleys when blades are engaged, and when disengaged move against the pulleys the friction stops the pulleys from spinning. My best guess would be one of four, first the brake pads may be worn out, second the arms the pads attach too some times freeze, and seize up not allowing the arms to move correctly. Third the cable could be broken where it attaches to the arms. forth sometimes the pads become misaligned. I have seen one other instance of the blades continuing to turn after disengagement, a customer changed his own deck belt and used the wrong size belt causing the deck to not move back far enough to take tension off the belt at disengagement, and the engine power over came the brake system.....Tom

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Tom Adinolfi

Can, and will, answer most questions pertaining to small engine repair, and service. But PLEASE furnish me with the proper Model numbers, and types to assure me to be able to answer your questions the most accurately as possible. If the problem is dealing with the frame, drive, or deck portion I need the manufactures numbers, if it is the engine itself, I need it's make and model numbers, rather than the frame's. Tom

Briggs & Stratton authorized dealer owned repair shop in Dayton, Ohio. 20+ years in small engine repair. and service. Experienced in most makes, and models. Factory schooled in Briggs & Stratton. Honda, MTD, Troybilt, Craftsman, Toro, Tecumseh, Kohler, and Kawasaki experienced. Keep in mind we do this for nothing more than ratings, please be thoughtful with them, and fair. We take great time to try, and help, please be as kind when rating us........Tom