Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/brake adjustment

Question
i have a toro model 56127 how do i adjust the foot brake thank ug

Answer
Go to the address below (copy & paste) and download the Operator manual and refer to page 23:

http://www.toro.com/en-us/parts/Pages/PartsDetails.aspx?mybeid=4024&serialNumber

Here's a tip.  You will probably need to remove the brake part and clean them before you can adjust as the 2 dowel pins tend to rust and not move properly.  It's not very difficult.

I would remove the adjustment nut and brake arm.  Remove the 2 dowel pins.  Remove the 2 screws holding the brake puck housing to the gearbox.  NOTE:  there is a metal plate behind the brake puck with the dowel pins.  DO NOT loose the metal plate and make sure it is installed when you reassemble.  If not the 2 dowel pins will break the puck.  DO NOT remove the brake disc unless you need to replace the puck.

With the dowel pins and metal plate/puck out you can use some steel wool wrapped around a small drill bit to clean the inner dowel pin holes.  Just use a drill and run the steel wool through the holes a couple of times to clean.

Clean the both dowel pins with steel wool or a wire brush.  The should not be any rust.  Once all parts are clean, intall metal plate NEXT to dowel pin holes, then the puck and bolt the
brake puck housing back on the gear box.

LIGHTLY grease the dowel pins with some white grease...just a little to keep them from rusting as well as the arm where it contacts the dowel pins.

Install dowel pins, brake arm and the nut.  Set the parking brake.  Adjust the nut until the mower can not roll with the brake set.  Release brake and see if the mower rolls easy.  You will have to set the brake, adjust, roll a few times to get the proper setting.

Let me know if this helps.
Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones