Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/craftsman lawnmower

i have a cr5aftsman lawnmower model 917.272059 and just started yesterday mower runs great in all 6 gears forward and in reverse but when i put it in neutral it still runs forward what causes this and do you have a solution?

According to the parts list you have a Peerless MST model transaxle.

If the engine is off and the transmission in neutral can you role the mower forward and backward?

Do you know if the transaxle oil has ever been checked?

Has the drive belt ever been replaced?

Are the pulleys secure?  Is the idler pulley bearing wore?

Are the belts guides in place?

Are the transmission mounting bolts tight?

Is the engine stack pulley bolt tight?

If a pulley, belt or belt guide is wore or missing it can cause the belt to keep the transaxle pulley to sort of bind but usually difficult shifting is associated with these issues.

This address should take you to the repair manual for your transaxle(MST section, pg 57.

Let me know if you can roll the mower back and fourth in neutral.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology