Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/craftsman snow blower

QUESTION: My snowblower will not start .i changed the gas in the tank,changed the sparkplug ,tested wit h a sparkplug tester i have a spark,i also cleaned the carburator,even if i put a little ether in the sparkplug hole it still will not start not even for a second,what could be the problem

ANSWER: Does the engine feel like it has compression when you pull the starter cord?  

What brand of engine do you have?  What is the engine model, type and code/serial number?

Let me know.

QUESTION: Its craftsman 6 hp model c950 model/ 521540 serial 000897,and yes i do have compression i put my finger in the sparkplug hole and cranked and i felt a good push of air.

Can you access the carburetor by just removing a panel or two?  If you have spark and compression the engine should fire by priming with new, fresh fuel or starting fuel.  We use a small squirt bottle with some gas and squirt some fuel in the carb.

If it will not start then the spark plug may not be working under compression or the ignition module...very, very rare for the module.  I've only seen one that would have spark with a tester and not work under compression.

When was the blower last used?  Did it sit a while.  Again, while rare, it it possible the flywheel key is sheared?

Can you attach picture of the carburetor?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology