Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Electric Starter

Question
I recently purchased a craftsmen snow blower (circa 1979)with the manual which states an electric starter as an option, any idea where to find one(model number 536.918300)?

Answer
Thanks for the model nubmer but the Sears site was no help on the engine.

See if there is a 143.xxxxxx number on the engine...there should be.

Copy/paste the URL below in your browser.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_L-Head_E

Go to the end of the manual and see if your 143.xxxx number crosses to a Tecumseh engine model number...again, it should if you have a Tecumseh engine.

With the Tecumseh engine model and spec number you can find the correct kit you need.

Many types of equipment are using Tecumseh Engines. Tecumseh does not offer a 12 volt kit, but does have 110 AC starter kits. So this is the first question: Are the mounting bosses (places) machined and drilled to mount a starter? Most likely yes.  If the answer is no you can stop right here. It can't be done.

Next, does the flywheel have a ring gear on it? You must remove the shroud and look.  If so, then all you need is the electric starter kit.  If the flywheel does not have a ring gear on it then you will need to replace it as well.

Let me know if what the 143.xxxxx number is.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones