Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda GX270 9hp engine wont start

Question
QUESTION: Good day,
I recently purchased a used generator that has a 9hp Honda GX270 engine. The engine was seized when I purchased it, so I drained the old oil and sprayed penetrating oil into the spark plug hole and repeated until the engine unseized about a week later.
I also cleaned the carb, drained the old gas, replaced the oil as well as the spark plug. After all this the engine would not start, so, I replaced the carburetor with a new one as well as replaced the fuel line. The engine seems to have good compression, but the only way the engine will run is if I spray starting fluid into the air cleaner opening.
What else could be the problem?
Everything I've read suggests the carb, but it's brand new.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

ANSWER: I'd have to agree...sounds like the carb is not delivering fuel.  However, I have seen sticky intake valves cause this problem on Honda engines.

Have you removed the valve cover and observed the intake valve in operation or at least inspect the valve to make sure it is opening and closing all the way?  
Eric

QUESTION: I'm by no means a mechanic, although, I follow instructions very well.
How would I go about checking the intake valve? I know its the valve closest to the carb, but I'm not sure how to check if it's functioning properly.
Thank you for your help

Answer
The best method is to use a leak-down tester to see if the intake valve is sealing.  These are pretty pricy for home use...don't think Autozone rents them either.

What you can do, and this is how I've found most sticky intake issues on Honda engines is just remove the valve cover the cover above the spark plug, usually 2 to 4 bolts/screws, and then pull the string and see if the valve opens and closes properly.  Opening is usually not the issue.  Most of the time they are slow to close because there is sticky gum deposits in the valve guide.  The valve should close just as fast as it opens.

Remove the spark plug before pulling the string...it's much easier to see if the valve is slow closing.  

Let me know what you find.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones