Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/kohler engine

i have a 70's allice chamlers lawn tractor 710 with a 10 hp kohler engine i rebuilt the carb ,it runs great for a few days sometimes just a few min and then raw fuel starts pumping out the carb i checked the float and it was fine.can you please help me

Does the engine have a fuel pump?  Sometimes floats can have a hole and fill with fluid...hard to tell unless you have a new one to compare the weight.

Since it runs good sometimes I doubt the float it bad but I would price a new one and if it is not too much money I would replace.

Is the inlet needle or inlet needle seat wore?  I've had some older carbs with wore inlet needle seat housing and cause the needle to bind...very rare but I've seen this on a chainsaw carb as well.

Have you made sure the other systems are working properly?  Valve clearance, point gap?  Did you check the head bolt torque and made sure the head gasket is not leaking...had a weird problem like yours once and turned out to be a couple of loose head bolts.  Sometimes when it got hot it would see like it was not getting wasn't, the fuel/air mix was leaking out the head lucky with a light and saw the bubbles but it took forever to find the problem.

Did you download the service manual from Kohler's website?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology