Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Toro 826 snowthrower issue

Question
QUESTION: Model 826 Toro # 38150
B&S type 0989-01
Problem: Initially on start up all is well. As engine warms up after making a few snow passes in my driveway the problem rears its ugly head. Under load (throwing a good amount snow) engine seems to starve for fuel, looses power and wants to stall....sometimes it will if I am not quick enough to prevent it from happening. Motor with no load runs somewhat smooth but with occasional flame shooting out of the exhaust. Choke is set midway to maintain engine running smoothly. Appreciate yor response back.

ANSWER: It sounds like the engine is running lean.  There are 2 circuits in the carb...low speed which is where the engine runs most of the time and the high speed circuit which is only open during heavy engine load.

There maybe some partial blockage in the carb high speed circuit.  

Have you removed, dis-assemlbed and cleaned the carburetor with compressed air from an air compressor?  

Eric

QUESTION: I kinda thought it was related to a carb issue. Can you please provide me some guidance in the disassembly & reassembly of the carb and resetting the needles;etc. Note: I do not own a tach to set any rpm levels. Will I need to purchase a rebuilt kit in case I damage a gasket;etc.? Also should the spark plug be replaced? One final point would it be easier if I ran some carb clearner in the gasoline instead of doing a carb overhaul?
Thanks for your help!

Answer
What is the engine model number?  It will be a 5 to 6 diget number.  The type is 0989-01.

I would not buy a tachometer...not worth it for a one time use.

You may need to buy a rebuild kit.  I would at least price a kit and check to see if you local Briggs dealer has it in stock in the event you need it.

We always replace the spark plug...we see a lot of spark plug failures.

I doubt carb cleaner added to the fuel will fix the problem.  We do recommend using a fuel additive for all small engine fuel tanks and your small gas cans as well.  Using fuel additives will help maintain the fuel quality.

Send me the engine model number so I can see which carb you have.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones