Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/chainsaw dies

My father has an older craftsman which is actually a echo cs451vl with a tillitson carb.  It starting acting up so he has taken the carb apart and cleaned twice and put a carb kit in it.  He said he also checked the fuel line and filter.  It will start, with some trouble, and run at high idle, but when you turn the idle down it will die.  We also adjusted and checked points and made sure stop switch was working correctly.  It still sounds like carb trouble, but what should we be looking for?  Air leak?  Thanks for any help.

It could be an air leak or a clogged muffler or exhaust port.

When rebuilding the carb did you download the service manual and check the carb inlet metering arm height?  This is like setting the float level on a float style carb.  A little off will usually not hurt but way too high or low will cause problems.

Do you have any way to pressurize the engine crankcase to check for air leaks?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology