Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Generator oil

I have a Westinghouse generator model WH7000EC.
I am totally confused as to what is the difference in 4 stroke small engine oil,(which came with the generator), and 4 stroke/Cycle oil, and SAE 10W-30 oil, and 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

My manual says use 4 stroke oil, then there is a chart in the manual that reads, Conventional 10W-30 oil..So which is it, 4 stroke or 10W-30?

Isn't regular car oil 10W-30? So can i use regular car oil?
What is the difference in 4 stroke oil and 10W-30 oil?

Is it that, they put the word "Stroke" on the bottle, just to charge more money, but is the same thing as regular SAE 10W-30 oil?

Very confusing. I looked up 4 stroke oil and I see, 4 stroke motocycle oil, 10W-30...

Please tell me which brand to get and which oil is what.
Thank you

You should use 10W-30 oil, the same oil as used in cars.  4 stroke and 4 cycle are the same terms...2 cycle oil is very different.  Most street bike oil is a heavier weight and has different additives as most street motocycles use a wet clutch system.

I prefer Valvoline oil.  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology