Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/help...kohler 17.5 engine

My john deere mower has a kohler 17.5 engine that keeps getting fuel in the oil & smokes really bad.i removed the head & found no obvious damage to head gasket,any help would be extremely appreciated,thank you for your time....

Leaking carb inlet needle seat.  Either remove, clean and rebuild the carb or install an inline fuel shut-off valve and turn the fuel OFF when you are not using the mower.

Drain, refill the oil.  I would do this a couple of times to make sure to get the old oil/gas out of the engine.

You can download the service manual from Kohler...for free!

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology