Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Husky chainsaw

Read some of your older ?'s looking for an answer but could not find anything exact...I have a not to old inexpensive husqvarna I believe a 137 or 141 (stickers gone) very clean old saw, not abused...When cold it will crank right up but as you let the saw run to warm up within seconds it starts to race wildley and then stalls as if flooding itself out...pretty much impossible to start after that....I have adjusted many saws in the past but this seems like something other then an adjustment problem....any suggestions......Mark

Has the carb been removed and overhauled?  Regardless I would remove and dis-assemble the carb and check the inlet needle arm height.  Make sure the throttle is not binding.  I would also remove and clean the muffler, spark arrestor and exhaust port.  Finally, replace the spark plug.  

These actions will eliminate the common causes and since your problem is a little weird I would start with the easy items.

When you have the carb apart, check to make sure the diaphrams are soft, plyable and flexiable.  If they are stiff or rigid this could be your problem as the carb could be heating up and the diaphrams relaxing.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology