Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/motor only runs at full throttle

Question
QUESTION: Ok so i got a Go kart the other day for free and the motor didnt crank at all. So i cleaned out the carb and made sure it had fresh gas. I got it running but it will only crank and run when its at full throttle. When i let off throttle it stalls and cuts off. I was thinking a gasket somewhere. What do you think the problem is? Thanks! Tyler

ANSWER: What engine do you have?  It sounds like the low speed carb circuit is still dirty.  I need to know the engine brand along with the model, type, and code/serial number to know what you are working on.

Eric

QUESTION: Im at school now in class but i know its a Tecumseh 6.0HP Power Sport motor. I can get the serial number this afternoon if you really need it. Thanks!

Answer
One of these links should be the engine repair manual:

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_L-Head_E

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_4-Cycle_

First I would check the throttle linkages and make sure you can move the carburetor butterfly shaft by hand.  It should move freely and easy.  

Second I would perform a static governor adjust to make sure the governor system is properly configured.

If the engine still runs at full throttle only the governor spool or weights may be bad.  I have seen several Tecumseh engine with defective governor spools/weights.

Perform the first two recommendations and let me know what happens.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones