Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Snow Blower

Question
Sears Snow Blower model 536.881501. Starts when primed but will not stay running (fuel cap on or off). If I hold a glove over the carburetor deflector the machine will stay running (using the choke it stalls). I am looking for the float settings? I checked it for a vacuum leak and the carburetor is tight and there are no fuel leaks. I put in a new fuel,plug and fuel filter. Thanks

Gordon

Answer
Based on the Sears Parts Direct website your engine is a Briggs & Stratton model 9A413-0202-E1.

The problem you described indicates a dirty carburetor.  The float on your carb is plastic and not adjustable.  

I would recommend ordering a carburetor overhaul kit part number 498260 or just the float inlet needle kit part number 398188.

I would remove, dis-assemble and clean the carburetor with compressed air from an air compressor and spray can carburetor cleaner.  Blower carb cleaner through all the carb orifices followed by compressed air.  Spray again to make sure all the holes are clean.  Replace the inlet needle and seat and clean with carb cleaner.

You may be able to get it running by just draining the carb.  Remove the float bowl nut on the bottom of the carb and drain the gas.  Clean the float bowl nut making sure the jet is clean.  Re-install nut and see if it runs.

The carb is a standard mower type carb.  There are lots of You Tube videos showing how to clean and replace the inlet needle seat.

ALWAYS shut the fuel OFF when not using your snowblower!  This will save you a lot of pain later.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones