Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/yardman primer

I have a mower that was given to me that they said ran fine last year and was emptied of fuel for the winter. upon trying to start it after filling with fuel all the fuel started to leak out of a hole in the primer bulb. it looks like the hole has always been there and part of the bulb. ive never seen one like that. how do I stop the leak if that's the way the bulb comes? and its a self propelled mower that I can not get to go into neutral. any suggestions? its an mtd yardman.

What brand engine?  Briggs or Tecumseh?  The leak is most likely caused by a leaking carburetor inlet needle and seat.  We see this problem all the time.  Replace the inlet needle and seat and fixed.  You will have to remove and dis-assemble the carb to replace the parts.

As for the neutral issue, I need the mower model number located on the MTD sticker usually located on the rear of the mower or under the chute cover.  MTD trans are pretty reliable, most likely the keys in the gears are just stuck due to rust.  Send me the mower model number and I can provide a better answer.

Check You Tube for overhauling, cleaning, or rebuilding Briggs or Tecumseh carbs, which ever you have there are lots of videos.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology