Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/drive problem with Craftsman

Question
QUESTION: I have a Craftsman (MTD made) snowblower that has 5 forward 2 reverse gears. The gears locked up on me, when I engage the lever, the friction wheel moves against the drive fly wheel, but the actual tires are locked up. Even with the engine turned off, there is no free wheel to roll; again, tires locked. On the drive shaft that the friction wheel is running, there are three individual teethed drive wheels that are hooked to teethed wheels on the axle for the tires. If I remove the wheel closest to the friction wheel, there is free movement, and the engine will then drive the tires, but not very much power. As soon as the little wheel is hooked into the matching large wheel, everything locks up. This wheel doesn't seem to have bearings, it seems to be fitted for the seven dimension axle size. Any ideas / leads to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

ANSWER: What is the blower model number?  

The wheels are usually locked when trying to turn right or left.  They act like a solid lock automotive rear end.

In neutral you should be able to roll the machine forward and back smoothly.

Do you have reverse and any or all foward speeds?

Send me the model number so I can look up your unit.

Eric

QUESTION: Model# 31AS6BCE752

I have 2 reverse and 5/6 forward gears, however, none of the gears are working because of this gear wheel locking up. Even if I have the engine turned off and the gear lever in the up position, the tires will not free roll (there isn't a neutral). If I remove the small inner wheel with teeth on it, I have a limited speed / power in all gears. Once this inner wheel is put in place - all drive gears and tires lock up!

Thank you for your help!

Answer
Is the friction disc stuck on the hex shaft?  Is the shift control rod bent preventing the friction disc from moving along the hex shaft?

The problem almost as to be with the hex shaft or shift control rod.  

If you remove the bottom drive cover, raise the wheels off the ground, and start the engine can you see the friction disc move along the hex shaft as you change speeds?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones