Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Echo SRM 210-SB

QUESTION: I replaced the upper tube, liner,rubber bushings and drive cable. What keeps the drive cable from just falling out the front when the lower tube isn't in place? I got this thing in pieces and thought I was careful while disassembling it, but a clip may have gotten legs. Thanks for any help, Brian

ANSWER: The upper inner shaft should have a ridge on the end that hits the stopper and keep the shaft from falling out.

Did you replace the stopper?

Part Number: 61024644730

QUESTION: Yes, I replaced the outer tube, plastic liner, both rubber stoppers and the flex cable. The rubber stopper appeared to limit the depth of the liner and then the other one held the liner in place. The flex cable just slid through the stopper and liner. Brian

ANSWER: Is there any retaining lip on the upper flex cable?  

Can you slide the inner flex cable through the outer tube?  I am assuming you can.

QUESTION: The end of the flex cable that mates with the lower has a plastic piece over the square drive female end that is chamfered on the inside to help with the shafts coming together. The stopper is placed at the end of the plastic liner and the flex shaft just goes through the center hole of the stopper. When the unit is tilted down, the flex shaft just slips right out. Thank you for taking the time to respond, Brian

When you replaced the stopper how far did you insert it inside the upper tube?  

Did you measure how far inside the tube the original stopper was located?

This is a new problem so it is difficult to figure out what is going on and how to fix it.

My bet it is something really easy is being over looked...some of the easiest fixes have been the most difficult to find.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology