Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/fuel solenoid

Question
I have a 20 hp kohler courage the fuel solenoid gets hot to touch with the key in the on position, does this mean it is bad it want start on its own I have to spray gas in carb a couple of times and it will stay running , the fuel solenoid also gets hot

.

Answer
Hot is difficult to judge as they can get hot just from the hot temperature.  However, since you can get it to start by priming then I would suspect the solenoid is not working...has a similar problem once.

From the Kohler manual:

Fuel Shut-off Solenoid (Optional)Some gasoline-fueled engines are equipped with the optional fuel shut-off solenoid, which is installed in place of the bowl retaining screw, to eliminate
backfiring when the engine is shut down. If a solenoidequipped engine will not start, check whether sufficient voltage is reaching the solenoid. A minimum of 7.3 volts DC is required to activate the solenoid. Also check to see that the ground lead from the carburetor body to the air cleaner base mounting stud is properly connected.

If these check out, the solenoid should be removed for bench testing. Remember to shut off fuel supply and catch any fuel spilling from the carburetor as the solenoid is removed.
Bench test the solenoid by grounding the solenoid case and applying 12 volt DC to the spade terminal. If the plunger does not retract in this test, the solenoid is faulty and must be replaced. Always use a new fuel bowl gasket whenever the solenoid is installed.

Make sure the ground on the engine is good.  This was this issue with the engine I had that had the same symptom you are having.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones