Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deerr 445 Crankshaft Seal leaking

Question
Hello I have a John Deere 445 with Kawasaki FD620D engine. I noticed a small amount of oil leaking around the crankshaft seal during pre winter prep. Can the seal be removed and replaced with out a complete tear-down of the motor? I looks like I could use a "gasket hook" to remove the old one and then just press the new seal in place with minimum dissembling.  
Thanks Eric

Answer
It can be removed without dis-assembling...you just have to be careful.  I would remove the engine to replace the seal and make sure the crankshat is free of all rust and smooth.  I would sand the shaft with find sandpaper.

Installation will require some type of a driver.  A piece of PVC pipe usually works well.  They sell seal protector tools but old microfiche card or a plastic bottle can be cut and wrapped around the shaft to protect the seal when installing.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones