Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Replacement Engine for B&S 130202 3010

Question
QUESTION: Eric,
I have a very old Lazy Boy 5 front tine garden tiller made by Parmi. It was handed down to me from my dad after several years of gardening and I have used it for the last 20 years myself. The engine has been maintained and servised regulary. But the time has come to replace the engine and I was hoping that you could help. The tiller has a Briggs and Stratton 5HP horizontal shaft, Model 130202 Type 3010 01. I'm sure there not a direct replacement, but if you could maybe direct me to a model that would work. Thanks in advance

ANSWER: Do you know if the engine has a gear redution on it.  The gear reduction will be an external part bolted on the rear of the engine, opposite the starter side.  

The link below is a good source for engine.  

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/Items/Gas-Engines-Horizontal/

You will need to measure the diameter and lenght of the shaft then just match an engine.  You can send me the measurements and I can help narrow down your options.

Eric

QUESTION: There is a 2" dia gear on the shaft for the belt. The shaft is 2 1/4"'s long and 3/4" dia.

Answer
Many of these engines will fit.  Now all you need to do is verify your gear/pulley will work.  most likely the gear is held in place with a set screw and a square key.  Most of the engine have the keyway you need.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/search.html?cat=Horizontal+3%2F4%22+Diameter

Tiller engines experience more wear than almost any other engine because of the dusty operating conditions.  I would probably look for a cheaper Briggs engine with a decent air filter.  When the engine wears out I would just replace it again as they are pretty cheap compared to today's repair shop labor prices.  A tune-up usually runs $65-85.  Two or three tune-ups and you could just replace the whole engine.

Make sure you can remove the pulley before you buy an engine.  Those pulleys can sometimes be real tough to remove.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones