Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Ryobi with weak spark

Question
QUESTION: Hi Eric,

I have a (until now) very reliable Ryobi Brushcutter RBC30SBSNB that has stopped working suddenly while in use. There was no surging or changes in revs to indicate a possible fuel problem. After replacing the spark plug which had a light brown burn colour to the centre electrode porcelain, I still had no spark. I purchased a new ignition module and fitted that using a business card to set the gap. I now have a very weak and intermittent spark, even with the kill switch wire disconnected. I would appreciate any help/advice you can offer. Regards,  Allen

ANSWER: Did you order the ignition module from Ryobi?  Are there any markings on the ignition module such as "This side out" or "Flywheel side"?

Eric

QUESTION: Yes the module was ordered from a Ryobi stockist (Bunnings in Australia) from the relevant parts list and diagram. The module cannot be reversed when fitting. Part No.308389004

Answer
The color of the spark rarely makes a difference.  How do you know the spark is weak?  An inline spark test similar to the one Briggs sells with a .166 inch gap works well to determine if the spark is weak.  I have only seen one coil with weak spark.  The coil would produce spark across a spark plug and shock you but it would not jump the .166 inch air gap of the inline ignition module.

Did you replace the spark plug?  Did you check the engine compression?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones