Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/toro model 71241

hi Eric  my name is chris i have a problem with my toro ride on  model no 71241  when i start it up it runs fine while moving but after about 5 min it dosent want to move foward or back this happens while cutting and not cutting is it a gearbox problem or belt if you could help me out that would be great          cheers   chris

Have you checked or changes the hydro fluid?

Do you know if the transaxle is a Hydro gear unit?  If so, take a look at this link and see if there is a repair manual:

Go to  Click on Parts and then type in the model number 71241.  There are several manuals you can download that cover the adjustments on the trans such as the brake and neutral settting.

Let me know which hydro you have.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology