Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/valve adjustment on a B&S 12.5 hp engine #28v707

Question
I was wondering if you have any tip on how to adjust the valves on my mower. i have never done it before and i was looking for an experts opinion. Also what setting does it need to be on with using the feeder gauge. thank you with any help in this matter

Answer
Michael

If this is an overhead valve engine, turn the flywheel clockwise until the piston is at the top of the cylinder bore (top dead center) both valves closed, and then continue to turn the flywheel clockwise until the piston drops down 1/4". Adjust the intake valve between .003"-.005" and the exhaust valve is adjusted between .005"-.007".To measure the 1/4' piston drop down, I do the following : After the spark plug has been removed, I insert a #2 wooden pencil eraser end first into the spark plug opening. I rotate the piston to find TDC and mark the pencil using lip
of the plug opening . I then place another reference mark 1/4" away from the first mark, toward the point end. With the pencil placed in the spark plug opening at TDC, I rotate the piston clockwise until the second, point end reference point matches the lip of the plug opening.  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

BEN