Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/briggs carb settings

I have Ariens HT16 md# 934001 with B&S md#402707   16 hp .My question is the proper carb settings,or good starting point.Also any parts sources for this 1983 tractor / engine. Thanks David Young. Virginia

Initial settings for the air/fuel mix adjustment are 1 & 1/2 turns out from a GENTLY seated position.  Too tight and you can damage the carburetor.

Tractor parts can be found at this link:

Engine parts are easy to find as well.  Just Google "Briggs and Stratton 402707-xxxx" and you will find the parts diagram.  The xxxx is the type numer of your engine.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology