Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda GC160 Engine Issue

I have a Honda GC160 on a sear rototiller. It has given me no problems for 6 years. Starting last year, the engine will start and run perfectly for around 30 seconds then die out. When i restart, it pops and fires out through carb and surges then dies out again. I thought it was a valve adjustment and readjusted to .006 (IN) and .008 (EX). I also disassembled and cleaned out carb but did not soak it. I don't know where to go next based on the fact that it will run perfectly for 30 seconds. Doesn't that say that all systems are go? Do you have any advice?

Use a small squirt bottle filled with fresh gas to prime the engine.  Remove the engine air filter and start it.  You should be able to keep it running by squirting fuel directly into the carb.

If the engine continues to run while priming then you know you have a fuel issue.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology