Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere 425 not starting

Hi I have a 2000 425 JD tractor.20hp Kawasaki. When I try to start it I turn the key on everything lights up ,fuel pump runs but when I turn the key to start it doesn`t do anything. If I leave the key on and jump across the starter with a screw driver it starts right up. Do you think its the starter or a wiring problem? I have power to the main starter wire from battery but could you tell me when you turn the key to start it should the starter have power to any other wire? Thanks.

Do you have the gas or diesel engine?  If gas, is this the model number, FD620D-AS02?  If you have the gas engine then the starter solenoid is attached to the starter assembly.

How many wires are connected to the starter solenoid?  Can you attach a picture of the starter solenoid?  

I found a service manual.  To find it Google "kawasaki FD620D starter solenoid test".  Look for a link like the one below.  Click the link and open the manual.

FD620D Kawasaki Service Manual.pdf - Argo Parts
FD620D. FD661 D. Kawasaki. 4-stroke liquid cooled v-twin gasoline engine. Service Manual .... based on the results of the test or inspection in the .... Shift type electric starter. 12 V - 20 .... Fuel Shut-Off Solenoid Valve 9.8 1 .0 7.0. Cooling ...

The manual tells how to check the starter solenoid.

Since you can short the solenoid and the starter works I suspect the problem is a safety switch or other problem...not a bad starter/solenoid.

I would check all the safety switches as some of them are held in place by rivets.  These rivets can loosen, break, or become weak allowing the switch to move just enough that is does not function properly which causes the mower not to start.

Do you have a digital or analog multimeter?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology