Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/late 70's-early 80's 8hp Briggs mod.190412

Question
QUESTION: the engine wont run. it sounds like it wants to run by firing at full choke,but wont run. did a compression check and had about 75psi of pressure in the cylinder. when i hold my hand over the carb,it seems to have good suction. when checking the plug after trying to start,it is dry.

ANSWER: Do you have spark?  Will the engine start by priming with a little gas squirted directly into the carburetor?  WD-40 should work to prime the engine as it is flammable but we use a small bottle with a little fuel to prime engines to see if they will start.

Let me know if the engine starts by priming.

Eric

QUESTION: made a leak down tester today and found the exhaust valve wasn't closing tight and must be losing the fuel in the cylinder causing the weak fire with the choke closed. having them ground and will put them back in tomorrow and see what happens. this is a gravity fed carb so i wasn't able to spray ant gas into it.

Answer
Gravity carb will not make much of a difference when priming.  Atmospheric pressure will push the fuel into the combustion chamber.  We prime every engine that comes in with "will not start" on the service order.  Priming quickly lets us know the compression and ignition are ok.  This lets us know there is a fuel issue so we start with the carb.

Are you planning on lapping the valves when you re-install them?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones