Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Follow Up to Original Question

Question
QUESTION: I have a Murray Ride On Lawn Mower which uses an 8 hp Tecumseh Motor (TVM195 Model 150269F.  It is a rear engine rider. I need to identify this machine so I can try to find a manual/illustrated parts list for it.  The id tag/sticker has been removed from the back of the machine, and I am unable to identify it.  I can tell you it also uses a Spicer 4450-3 transaxle that bears the date April 1997 on it.  Is there a way to determine the exact model number of this machine?  I believe it may be in the Model 30550 group, but not sure. Can you help me?  Where can I obtain a manual/parts list?  I managed to find a downloadable illustrated parts list/breakdown for the motor on line.

ANSWER: The first digit of the engine code nubmer indicate year the engine was made.  The engine maunufacturing date is usually one year before the actual mower was made. Check out page 2 on the link below"

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_L-Head_E

I'm betting the model is 30565A.  What parts are you needing?

Eric

QUESTION: Thanks for responding.  The web link you provided makes sense to me of the engine marking “DOM 7069”.  I understand this to mean the Tecumseh motor I have was manufactured in March of 1997.  That would mesh nicely with the April 1997 date on the Spicer Transaxle.  You asked me what parts I needed.  Actually, I was looking for a service manual or at least a procedure for adjusting the clutch if there is one.  The Rider my son was given runs ok, but it just will not pull its own weight.  When it is running and in gear and without any one on it, it will creep along when given a shove.  I know that the Spicer Transaxle is a sealed unit and not meant to be serviced by a consumer.  I am hoping that the problem might just be an adjustment problem.  Could the brake be adjusted too tight?  I would appreciate any advice you can give me.  

Bill

Answer
Peerless service manual link:

http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Tecumseh-Peerless_Motion_Drive_System_-_Transmi(691218).pdf

The Spicer is almost identical to the Peerless so the manual is a great reference.  Those transaxles can be repaired.  The shift keys are the weak point but you will usually have at least one forward or reverse gear even if the keys break.

As for a clutch adjustment the idle pulley is the only adjustment.  Just loosen the idler pulley nut/bolt and you should be able to slide the idler pulley.  There not much adjustment.  is the belt slipping?  If you can roll the mower when it is in neutral then odds are the brake is not dragging too much.

I would still dis-assemble the brakes and clean.  DO NOT lose the small metal plate on the dowel pin side of the brake assembly and make sure you re-install in the correct order.  Clean the dowel pins with sandpaper or a wirebrush.  Clean the dowel pin holes with some steelwool wrapped around a drill bit.  Use light grease on the dowel pins to lube and keep from rusting.

Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones