Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/troy bilt big red mower i think its a 2007 model #14AA8OTP766

Question
WAS MOWING YARD AND IT STARTED MAKING NOISE AND STOPPED MOVING,STARTED CHECKING AND LOWER DRIVE BELT THE LONGER BELT WAS DESTROYED.WENT AND GOT NEW BELT STARTED ON CHANGING BELT AND I REMOVED MOWING DECK,WHERE I COULD GET TO EVERYTHING MUCH EASIER.I AM AT A STAND STILL,REMOVED TIRES ON BACK.THAT ALLOWED ME TO SEE MORE,BUT THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT I CAN PUT THE BELT ON THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO ON,THE PROBLEM IM HAVING IS I CANT GET THE BELT ON THE PULLEYS AT THE MOTOR END OR THE REAREND END,IM AT WITS END WITH THIS LOOKS LIKE I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DROP OTHER PULLEYS AND OTHER STUFF JUST TO GET THE BELT ON.WOULD APPRICIATE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS BRLT ON THE PULLEYS I WOULD SAY THAT IT WOULD HAVE TO GO ON THE MOTOR END FIRST.PLEASE I AM AT WITS END WITH THIS THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Answer
There should be 2 drive belts according to the parts diagram.  There is a Variable Speed Pulley Assembly that holds the 2 belts essentially connecting the transmission pulley with the engine pulley.  The long belt should go on first.  I would start by putting the long belt on the engine pulley and then feed it through the idler pulleys.  It should be easier to install if you have someone press the clutch pedal in as you install the long belt on the Variable Speed Pulley.

With the front belt on and the clutch pushed down you should be able to move the center section of the Variable Speed Pulley Assembly slightly to help install the rear short belt.  I would install on the Variable Speed Pulley Assembly first and then feed onto the transmission pulley.  You should be able the start the belt on the trans pulley and then rotate the trans pulley which should force the belt to follow the pulley and fall into place.

Let me know if this helps.
Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones