Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Cub Cadet 2185 Stator Coil Removal

I have measured (0)AC volts coming from the stator WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING AT FULL SPREED.

Must I remove the engine in order to replace the stator coil.

Thank you.

ANSWER: You do not have to remove the engine to replace the stator.  What brand of engine to yo have?  What is the engine model, type and serial/code number?

QUESTION: It has a Kohler CH18S, which has a horizonal shaft, one end is the PTO, the other connects to the direct drive shaft, so I see no way other than a engine removal from the tractor in order to remove the blower cover to access the fan, and stator, so are you sure there is a way that does not require an engine removal.??

Thank you

You can do it without removing the engine.  However, removing the engine may be easier than fighting the engine shroud bolts if access is tight.

Did you download the Kohler manual from Kohler's website?  The Service manual is free and tells you exactly how to test the charging system.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology