Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/ecessive oil smokeing

Question
hi eric, I just bought a 1998 john deere lx 277/w 17 hp 494cc ohv engine. when I looked at the tactor at the former owners  he said it smokes a little and when I started it it did smoke and slowed down a little after a bit. by the way its a kawaski eng. when I got it home I changed the oil,filter,plugs put a little sea foam in the gas . when I fired it up it realy started smokeing bad and more so under a load but never cleared . I turned it off and put my finger in the muffler and it was oily and black. I am wondering if you would recommend to do, with out having to replace the whole engine. thank you so much iam sick about this?

Answer
What is the engine model number?

Use this link below and download the engine service manual.
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasaki-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Use the manual and find the min compression specification.  Perform compression test and let me know what the compression reading.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones