Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/follow-up to previous post

Question
QUESTION: I took the carb off and replaced the float pin, needle. Cleaned the bowl main jets again and hopefully cleaned the other jets also(sprayed carb cleaner down through the carb shaft). Replaced the gaskets. Started the mower up and started the surging again. I let it run a little while and then the surging smoothed out. However, doing a restart is almost impossible when the engine is shut down and restarting. Any more ideas? I'm going to check the spark lug when it cools down. Thanks again for ideas.

ANSWER: Remind me which engine you have, Briggs, Honda, Tecumseh?  What is the engine model, type, and code/spec/serial number so I can look up your carb.

Eric

QUESTION: It's a Briggs / Craftsman - family 6HP XBSXS1901VC, rw5my12H8022639B10103201FA.  As a followup, the primer bulb is not priming.  I replaced the bulb and still no priming.  When the priming didn't work, I removed the air filter box again and left the breather hose connected to watch when primer bulb pressed.  Could not see and fuel running through the breather hose nto the air filter.  Could it be that I messed something up in the carb?  Other than the gaskets and O-rings, the only thing other than that that I replace was the float pin and needle.  That only goes one way.  The breather hose seems OK - maybe with age the hose dosen't retain it's vacuum. I also noticed that when I tilted the mower slightly - gas tank up, some gas was leaking out.  Didn't see where it was coming from. Maybe the O-ring on the float bowl was in place?  Thanks..

Answer
Did you replace the gasket between the carburetor and the air filter housing?  These almost always tear when taking the air filter base off the carburetor.

You should be able to see a small amount of fuel coming from the middle of the carburetor when you press the primer bulb.  If you can not see any fuel then either the primer bulb is leaking (not sealing), the gasket is tore, or the carb orifice is plugged.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones